Thursday, December 15, 2005

Revisiting the lost but not forgotten garden

This has been an unusual year, which anyone who has been following this blog already knows, but the difficulties have not ended quite yet. I have just returned from another 5-6 weeks of traveling for work, with the only thing remaining alive in the garden being some lemon verbena and a few sprigs of oregano (actually glad to see the oregano dying off as this variety has been invasive and does not offer much in the way of flavor).

So with over 200 square feet of empty garden beds, I am essentially starting over going into the winter, albeit the mild winter of central Texas, months. Having been reading more about intensive planting methods, I am taking this opportunity to do the major ammeding and preparation that is seldom possible in a climate where we can garden almost all 12 months of the year.

First on the agenda is to bring in large amounts of compost. This is the plan for the early part of next week.

From there I will begin a more formal planting plan than I have used previously, so that I might be able to get an automated watering system in place this next year before I am left to travel again for 5-6 weeks at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home