Sunday, May 29, 2005

After a couple of dry months, where supplemental water was necessary, we finally got a bit of rain the last couple of days. The first round of thunderstorms bent over the tomato plants which I had neglected to tie up as they grew. Fortunately I believe that they will all be alright, though one did lose a major branch. The squash were also bent over, but they seem to have recovered on their own and are still putting out a number of blooms and more squash is on its way.

This last week the cukes took off and seem to grow several inches every day. They have also been blooming but no sign of actual cukes coming on as of yet.

Not much else to add.. the parsley has all been removed, and the tomatoes now receive a bit more of the sun so hopefully they will thrive now. I am still pondering what to plant next, hindered by the ongoing projects at work which demand all of my time. However no excuses..

I am looking for a water timer so that I can care for the garden even while I am out of town working, but thus far no luck on something that seems to fit the bill. Soon the winter squash will need to be planted, at least the first round of them, so that I can get a bountiful and ongoing harvest for those leaner times. At more than $1.00 a pound for winter squash, double that for organic, these plants will easily produce enough to compensate any effort I put forth. Though of course I am growing them as much for the pleasure of the task, and for the flavor not found in store bought produce, as for the savings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home