Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Progress!

Another beautiful day in central Texas. Despite work keeping me away from the garden, and away from real cooking, I was determined to make some progress today before the entire month slipped away without any thought to the future, or at least any planting. I dug up more sod out of the area which will become the squash patch, though there is still a long way to go. I hope to get the area tilled, compost added, and hilled in preparation for the squash plants this weekend. In the meantime, I have planted the seends of some of the heirloom squash seeds so that I may transplant them to the garden, but still not lose growing time. According to a publication by the Travis county master gardener's association, I am a bit late for earliest harvest on some of the squashes, but within the planting times. I also started the cukes, though honestly I believe that these are too late to be starting from seed. With seeds left, I hope to make these part of a fall garden.

The cilantro is beginning to bolt, or try to do so, meaning that I may well have to cut it and dry what is left (which is substantial) for future use. Peas are still coming on strong and have a sweetness that makes all of the snacking on them as a kid make perfect sense even in the light of the stereotypes about kids not eating vegetables. Give kids fresh produce, especially produce that they have seen grow, and helped to grow, and they will eat it. I know that I did and continue to do so.

No sign of the onion seeds sprouting, and I have given up hope on them. Maybe I will try again with the remaining seeds in the fall. Slowly but surely I am starting to learn what I can grow from seed, and what I should just purchase as plants. Tomatoes fall into this latter category, at least this year as I have not had time to get seeds started. The same goes for peppers, which is a shame given the number of pepper varieties I have as seed currently.

The weather is still a challenge, but then it is always a challenge here in the hill country. The temperatures are warm, but rain and cool fronts still come with some regularity. It is even possible, though unlikely, that we could get a frost. Fortunately this does not seem to be on the horizon, and I am planting with some confidence that spring/summer is here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home